Lokadrusti is a non profitable voluntary organization working for the development of the tribes in the erstwhile ‘Kalahandi’ region (now Nuapada District of Orissa, India) since 1988. It was the time when the question ‘Hunger and Under development: Is there a way out for Kalahandi?’ rang loud and clear in the mind of all concerned. But, there was no answer; no one to answer.
More out of necessasity, Lokadrusti started modestly with community mobilization and formulation of intervention strategies. Subsequently, Lokadrusti worked on ‘women empowerment’, ‘Social Mobilization Around Natural Resource Management for Poverty Alleviation’, ‘Tribal rights’, ‘Waste land management’, ‘Education’, ‘health’ and ‘cultural development’. Please see relevant sections for more details. Also, please watch the documentary video for a vivid picture of our work. We thank you for your kind visit. We will be grateful if you put your comments and suggestions for betterment of our efforts. Thanks!
“…to create an enabling environments for social change to empower the powerless/ weaker section/ down trodden…”
“…sustainable development keeping harmony with nature and environment, overall growth in education, health, art and culture…”
Transform this region into a self sufficient area on sustainable basis. It visualises promoting grassroot level committee/ organisation who will be the actors of development in the long run. Instead of creating an alternative structure of development it believes in activating and building the capacity of the existing structure. We respect the traditional local knowledge as a means of development. To achieve this our aim is to build the self confidence of the people.
Aim and Objectives
- To promote the development of tribal women and children in a very backward drought prone area through organizing people’s organization.
- To promote health, hygiene and sanitation of the village.
- To promote self help groups among rural poor for their socio-economic development.
- To develop and conserve natural resources of the area.
- To organize village women groups to fight for their legitimate rights.
- To promote children education in the remote villages.
- To organize the village community on Gender equality to give the same status to women as men.
- To make action research to develop new intervention strategies for socio-cultural and economic development of down- trodden poor of drought prone area.
- To serve as a forum of exchange of ideas among rural people, local intellectuals and developmental Agencies.
- To establish education institution for promotion of primary and higher education for the development of deprived students.
- To impart training for skill development of rural youth.
- To implement government programs through awareness creation.
- To collect the voice of the people and create a system of feedback to the planners administrators of the public, response, reaction and understanding of various issues of developments.
- To prepare literature for the rural audience.
- To carry out and promote participatory research in order to help people understand analyze and interpret their problem of developments.
- To carry cut research Institutes on important areas of social relevance.
- To do all other things those are incidental and conducive to the above said objectives.